“Competence and Capabilities = Confidence” Lolly Daskal
I hope you enjoyed this week’s show as much as I did with Lolly Daskal. She shared so many tips, tools, and strategies that we can implement into our life, whether it is in leadership or in our own relationships. Strategies that we can use to shorten the distance between our gap and our greatness. Here are my five favorite takeaways from this week’s conversation with Lolly Daskal.
- How much time you spend focusing on the greatness of those around you or do you tend to focus on their shortcomings? Lolly talked about the fact that we get to make a choice at every moment, as to whether we focus on our gaps or our greatness. While we are primed to focus on the negative can you notice how often your focus on your greatness and how much time you spend focusing on the things that you feel are a weakness? Then flip that around and notice how much time you spend focusing on the greatness of those around you or do you tend to focus on their shortcomings? How would your day change if you focused on more of the positive?
- What you don’t own – owns you! – wow, I loved that moment. How true it is – that we tend to push aside the things that we don’t like about ourselves. But what that really does is give that part of you more power. What is one thing that you consider a flaw? For many years I saw my anxiety as a huge gap – now what if – instead of pushing that piece away inside a box, you made peace with it and accepted it as a part of who you are. The moment I acknowledged and accepted my anxiety – the power of my panic attacks almost disappeared. It’s time to own and love all of ourselves.
- What would happen if you no longer compared yourself to anyone else? The imposter syndrome – how tricky it is as we always compare ourselves to those around us. Comparison is the thief of joy. What would happen if you no longer compared yourself to anyone else, and spent time working on your own inner greatness – use those around you for motivation and inspiration but and only compared yourself to your today versus your yesterday? Everyday, celebrate your uniqueness and do one thing, take one action to move yourself towards your greatness.
- Competence + capabilities will give you the confidence you need. Lolly talked about confidence and her definition of what confidence is. Competence + capabilities will give you the confidence you need. Knowing what you are good at and knowing the areas of your skill set that may need sharpening and then taking the steps to research, learn and discover new material will help us not only strengthen your confidence but also expand your experiences within the world
- How are your listening skills? Lolly talks about the idea of fixing versus listening. How are your listening skills? Over the next few days Can you practice being a fully engaged listener? Listening is just like a muscle and one that improves with practice. Like I said I thought I was an enthusiastic listener but I really was an impatient listener. Can you practice this week, listening to everyone and allowing them to finish their complete sentence? Then pause and respond to the actual conversation in front of you, versus anticipating how you are going to answer.
Be sure to subscribe to the Perfection Detox Podcast on iTunes so that you never miss a show. I would be so appreciative if you can also take the time to leave an honest review.